Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Bucking Donkey

He was young - in fact, I still thought of him as my baby. But he was plenty old enough to start learning what donkeys are made for.
"Stop that!" I said to him one day in our stableyard. I didn't like his jumping and kicking all the time.
"But Mother," he said, "I'm just having fun! Besides, I want to be the buckingest donkey there ever was. I'll never let any other rider stay on me! If he tries to hang on, he'll hit the ground faster than he can say 'Whoa!'"
I blew out a hot breath. "I'll say it once more, my son: God didn't make donkeys to buck people. He made donkeys to carry people, gently and carefully - and their packs too."
"Plenty of other donkeys can do that, Mother. I'd rather be a BUCKER!"
"If you're a bucker," I answered gravely, "it will be for a very short time - because men have no need for a donkey that won't be tamed."
- The Bible Animal Storybook (Mack Thomas)

It's sad when a children's book becomes so convicting! Thank you, Jesus for taming this bucking donkey!

No comments: