Thursday, April 1, 2010

Good Questions



Me: Brody, do not throw those shoes! That could really hurt someone if they get hit by them.

Brody: Throws the shoes while my back is turned.

Me: BRODY LEE BANGERT! What did I just tell you?!?

Brody: Uuuhhhmmm... (cautious smirk on his face)

Me: What did I just tell you? (in my very stern "don't make me ask you again" voice)

Brody: the wheels are turning....VERY slowly

Me: practicing my "teacher wait-time" strategy, but getting impatient

Brody: (the lightbulb goes off) You said no!

Me: I said don't do what?

Brody: Don't throw my shoes. (solemn realization of where this is headed is beginning to creep in)

Me: And what did you do?

Brody: (very quietly) I threw my shoes.

Me: Do you think that was being obedient? Did you do what mommy told you?

Brody: No. (the smirk has turned into a "but you still love me, right?" half-smile)

Me: What is our verse about obedience?

Brody: (repeats Eph. 6:1...although lately he's been saying "parents obey your children..." and I'm not quite certain it's by accident...he makes sure to get it right this time, though!)

Me: Next time, when mommy tells you not to throw your shoes, what are you going to do?

Brody: Don't throw them.

Me: Thank you. Now let me put your shoes on.

(momentary silence filled with obvious relief that he gave the right answer to avoid a spanking)

Brody: That was a really good question, mom!

Me:....(Come on!!!....what would you do?!?)...hysterical laughter!!!

2 comments:

Mrs Bic said...

That kid is great. When can I start the spanking...I swear my girl knows EXACTLY what is going! By the way...just thought you should know...I am trying to steal your friends.

I've been reading Heather's Blog and have contacted Becca about photography...they seem like great people to know!

You better hurry back to Tucson before I take them.

Lindsay said...

Ha! Ha! I was gonna suggest Becca on facebook, but it seemed like you got so many good suggestions already! They both are AWESOME!! I can use my connections to set up a playdate (wink wink) :)!! Also, we used Dr. Dobson's book Dare to Discipline(he says 14-16 months is the average age most kids are ready for spanking...mine, however is 10 months and I'm pretty sure she's ready!! Ugh!)